Monday, April 28, 2014

Week 13 “Reconsidering the Super Hero”



Alan Moore’s ‘Watchmen’ is the one of the greatest novels ever written. After reading the comics and watching the movie I  was actually extremely pleased with the translation. Usually, the movie absolutely butchers the original story with fancy effects and shitty acting (thank god Michael Bay didn’t make it) 




I found out about ‘Watchmen’ after being obsessed with ‘V for Vendetta’ and searching for more of Mr.Moores creations. I guess I have a thing for dystopian novels in which vigilante heros protect us from the corruption and greed that rules our society. Its nice to have a sense of hope. What struck with me the most with ‘Watchmen’ was the simple idea of “who watches the Watchmen?” it never occurred to me that heros might need saving themselves. I also felt really affected by the overall plot, it made me question what is good and bad? And how can you tell whats right or wrong? I mean, although New York was completely obliterated by an atomic attack, the rest of the world was saved. Is that really bad? Of course it is in the individual sense of loss and families, but in the greater scope of of the world, human history will continue, because some died for the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment